Entrée, dips & Finger foods
- Cabbage and Veg in cheese sauce.
- Hot vegetable stir fry
- Mushroom, Rocket & Walnut Fettuccine
- Zucchini, Sweet Potato and Fetta Frittata.
2 onions, thinly sliced
Veg or beef stock (700ml)
1/2 green cabbage, coarsely chopped
2 carrots, sliced
2 medium potatoes, peeled & cubed
1 stalk celery sliced
2 tomatoes, chopped
2 Sprigs of fresh parsley, chopped finely
1 clove of garlic. chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
- In large soup pot heat oil, garlic, salt and pepper. When oil is hot add onions and cook until tender.
- Add stock, cabbage, carrots, potatoes, celery and tomatoes.
- Add enough water to thoroughly cover all ingredients by 1 inch. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours. Adding the chopped parsley after 1.5 hours.
1 mango: cubed to around 1cm
100gm capsicum: diced
20gm coriander: finely chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon pineapple juice
Lemon / lime juice to taste
Salt / pepper to taste.
- Gently combine the mango, capsicum, coriander, oil and pineapple juice in a mixing bowl.
- Add the lemon or lime juice to taste and salt and pepper to taste.
As a topping / side to grilled fish, chicken or meat
With your favourite bread or crackers
Use paw paw instead of mango.
Add some finely chopped chilli to create a spicy mango salsa.
Silverbeet and feta rolls
1 bunch silverbeet
125ml (1/2 cup) olive oil
3 stems spring onion finely chopped
3 cloves garlic – crushed.
200gm fetta – crumbled
10 sheets filo pastry
Butter, salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 200`c. grease oven trays with butter
- Place leaves of silverbeet (keep stems for use in soups, stir-fry or casserole) and place leaves in covered saucepan over a medium-low heat until leaves are wilted (2 – 3 min).
- Set leaves aside until cool and then finely chop.
- In pan over medium-low heat use a few spoons of oil and cook garlic and spring onion for 1 – 2 minutes.
- In a large bowl mix together the silverbeet, ricotta, feta and garlic & spring onion mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Lay out pastry and brush with oil. Fold the pastry in half crossways and then cut in half crossways.
- Spread 1Tbs of the mixture at the narrow end of each pastry strip. Fold the end of the pastry over the mixture, then fold in the sides and roll up firmly. Brush the ends with oil to seal and then place seam side down on the oven tray.
- Repeat remaining pastry and mix.
- Bake in oven for 20 – 25 min.
Uncooked rolls can be wrapped in plastic and stored in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Add finely sliced mushroom to the pan with the garlic and spring onion to make Silverbeet, mushroom and feta rolls.
Celery, Fennel and Parsley Salad
Easy to make.
3 stalks of celery with leaves
2 medium fennel bulbs, cored and thinly sliced.
1 cup of fresh parsley leaves chopped coarsley
1/3 cup black olives, sliced or whole
1/4 cup lemon rind, grated.
Vinaigrette, salt and pepper to taste
- Trim the leaves from celery stalks and coarsely chop
- Thinly slice celery stalks diagonally.
- Combine the celery, celery leaves, fennel, parsley, olives and lemon rind in a large bowl.
- Add vinaigrette, salt and pepper to taste and toss.
For a meat variation, add thinly sliced cooked lamb.
Add sliced capsicum.
Cos and Celery Salad
1 cos lettuce, roughly chopped
5 medium stalks of celery. Sliced diagonally.
1 cup chopped pecans.
1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 teaspoon of sugar.
- Combine the oil, lemon juice and sugar in a drink mixer or screw top jar and sake to combine.
- Combine the lettuce, celery and half of the nuts in a large bowl.
- Add dressing and toss.
- Sprinkle the remaining nuts on top.
Add shaved parmesan or grated cheese after serving.
Add sliced capsicum.
For a meat variation, add diced ham or sliced cooked chicken.
Cabbage and Veg in cheese sauce.
3 carrots, thinly sliced
1 capsicum, thinly sliced
3 squash, thinly sliced
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup butter, divided
1 medium head cabbage, washed and chopped
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons mustard
1/2 cup grated cheese
- In saucepan, combine carrots, caps, squash, salt & pepper, 2 tablespoons butter & 5 cups water. Bring to boil.
- Add chopped cabbage. Boil uncovered for 5 minutes or until veggies are tender. Drain off water.
- Melt remaining butter in a saucepan and blend in the flour. Gradually add milk. Stir continually until sauce has thickened. Add salt, pepper to taste.
- To the veggie pot, add mustard, the white sauce and cheese. Blend together over low heat.
Serve while hot.
Hot vegetable stir fry
Easy to make.
3 cups of sliced vegetables using your favourites from; capsicum, spring onion, onion, beans (green or yellow), snow peas, asparagus, boc choy, carrots, zucchini, cabbage, cauliflower and broccoli.
Finely chopped ginger (1 tsp)
Finely chopped garlic (1 tsp)
Corn starch or flour
Red chilli powder
Vegetable stock or water
Oil (1/4 cup)
Salt to taste
- Mix together in a small bowl; half cup of vegetable stock or water with soy sauce, chilli sauce, red chilli powder, vinegar and salt to taste.
- Heat oil in large fry pan or wok then maintain a medium heat
- Add onions, ginger and garlic
- Add the remaining vegetables; adding the slowest to cook first.
- Add 1/4 cup of water if you would like the veggies to cook soft.
- Add the sauce mixture into the pan and continue to simmer and slow stir until sauce thickens
- Serve on a bed of rice or noodles.
Add sliced beef, lamb, pork or chicken for a meat stir fry.
Substitute the sauce mix for a satay, honey soy, oyster or black bean.
Mushroom, Rocket & Walnut Fettuccine
Preparation time: 15 minutes
200g rocket leaves
Olive oil to serve
Fresh parmesan cheese to serve
- Slice the mushrooms. Heat a large pan and sauté for a few minutes.
- Add the juice and zest of the lemon and the walnuts to the pan.
- Cook the pasta until al dente.
- When the chicken is cooked, remove the pan from the heat. Drain the pasta, add to the mushroom and toss in the rocket leaves and a splash of olive oil.
- Serve topped with freshly shaved parmesan
Zucchini, Sweet Potato and Fetta Frittata.
700gm Sweet Potato: peeled and cut into cubes
400gm roma tomato: quartered lengthway
1 brown onion: chopped
300gm Zucchini: chopped
1/2 cup torn basil leaves
50gm spinach or rocket leaves
6 eggs: beaten
125gm fetta: crumbled
Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 180c
- Place cubed sweet potato into an oven tray and drizzle with oil, salt and pepper to taste.
- Place sliced tomato into an oven tray and drizzle with oil and vinegar, salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake the sweet potato and tomato for 30minutes. (until tender)
- Heat oil in a medium fry pan and cook the onions on a medium heat for around 5 minutes (until soft)
- Combine the onions, sweet potato, zucchini, fetta and bail in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread loosely into fry pan and then pour the eggs gently over the mix. Cook over a low-med heat for 10 minutes or until set underneath and at sides.
- Remove fry pan from the cook top and place under a moderately hot grill for about 5 minutes. Surface should be approximately 8 cm from the heat source and grill until the top cooked.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Toss the tomatoes with the spinach or rocket salad with oil and vinegar to taste.
- Cut frittata into wedges to serve with tomato salad.
Replace the 700gm sweet potato for a mix of sweet potato, pumpkin, carrot onion, eggplant, squash and capsicum.
Banana and cinnamon muffins
2 cups self raising flour
¾ cup sugar
1 cup yoghurt
1 tsp grated lemon rind
1/3 cup oil
1 cup over-ripe banana
1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180c (350F)
- Prepare muffin tin – brush with oil and dust with flour.
- Sift flour and cinnamon into a large mixing bowl. Add the sugar and combine.
- In a separate bowl, place the yoghurt, eggs, lemon rind and oil. Whisk until smooth.
- Add the wet mixture into the dry and stir until just combined.
- Chop banana into small pieces or mash. Stir banana pieces into the muffin mix until combined.
- To ensure muffins are soft, do not overwork the mixture.
- Spoon mixture into the muffin tins – filling each muffin cup two thirds.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Test muffins are ready by inserting a skewer into the centre. When cooked the skewer will come out clean.
Banana pieces can be replaced with a punnet of your favourite berries.
Add roughly chopped pieces of dark, milk or white chocolate.
Lemon Meringue Pie
70g self-raising flour
130g plain flour
30g caster sugar
56g (4 tablespoons) corn flour
170g (3/4 cup) caster sugar
190ml (3/4 cup) lemon juice
250ml (1 cup) water
3 large egg yolks
3 large egg whites
165g (3/4 cup) caster sugar
- To make pastry
- Process flours, sugar and butter in a food processor until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add egg and process until mixture comes together into a ball.
- Cover dough with cling wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- To make lemon filling
- Stir corn flour, caster sugar, lemon juice and water together in medium saucepan until mixture is smooth.
- Place saucepan over medium heat and stir until mixture reaches the boil.
- Reduce heat, simmer and stir for 30 seconds then remove from heat.
- Immediately and vigorously whisk in butter and egg yolks.
- Cover and refrigerate filling until cold.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Roll out pastry between two sheets of baking paper or on a lightly floured board to fit a 22cm (9 inch) pie plate.
- Lift pastry into pie plate and gently press into dish. Trim any pastry overhanging the sides.
- Place a sheet of baking paper on top of the pastry and fill with pastry weights or uncooked rice.
- Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 10 minutes.
- Remove weights/rice and baking paper and bake for 10-15 minutes more, until the pastry is a light golden colour.
- Remove from oven and allow pastry shell to cool.
- To make meringue
- Preheated oven to 200c
- Place egg whites in large bowl of electric mixer and beat on high speed until soft peaks form.
- Add the sugar gradually, beating until sugar is dissolved and mixture is thick and glossy.
- Spoon lemon filling into cooled pastry shell and top with meringue.
- Bake in oven for about 10 minutes or until meringue is lightly coloured.